Ted King Announces 2015 Will Be His Last in Pro Peloton

color and bw san luis

Ted King has announced today that the current season will be his final as a professional cyclist.  The 32 year old started his European campaign in 2009 and is currently in his seventh European professional season as a member of the Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team.

“I’ll forever love this sport and consider myself grateful to have earned such an international career,” King said. After racing domestically for three years with Bissell, King made the leap to Europe with the Cervélo TestTeam in 2009 before joining Cannondale-Liquigas in 2011.

During his professional career Ted raced in the sport’s biggest events including the Tour de France, Giro d’Italia, World Championships, and Monuments such as Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders.

King says he will forever cherish his first-time experiences such as his first time on the Roubaix Velodrome, his first Grand Tour, his first victory, and his first World Championships wearing the red, white, and blue of the United States. “I can picture each of these vividly and that’s something I’ll value forever.”

“And I’m grateful to spend my last pro season on an American team with Cannondale-Garmin. Across the board I’m extremely happy here — my teammates, the directors, sponsors, camaraderie, and obviously the fans are all greater than I could have expected. It may seem like an odd contrast to decide to retire now when things are at such a high point, but I’m ready to tackle a new phase. That being said, I’m more inspired to thrive in the peloton than ever before and finish the season in the greatest way possible.”

While leaving the professional ranks at the end of the current season, King plans to remain actively involved in cycling with the same vigor that drew him to it.

“Though I’m stepping away from pro racing at the end of the season, I still love riding my bike and will continue to do plenty of that.” said King. “Where early season meant the Spring Classics I’ll now look for classic adventures with the bike very much at its center. Additionally, I’ll be even more involved with the Krempels King of the Road Challenge and similar social, environmental, health, and causes related to the bike.”

King will also turn his attention to UnTapped, the energy company he co-founded in 2014.

Comments

1. Chris

Good luck in 2015…hope it is the highlight of what has been an amazing career. I’ll miss looking for you in the peloton.

2. Kathryn

I’m confused–does this mean I’ll be bringing maple candies to myself at the races in 2016? Guess I’ll just have to cheer extra loudly for you the rest of this season (shouldn’t be a problem). All the best!

3. RonRRonRoRonnRon

Wow, this is a surprise. All the best in your final season and continue success in your future endeavors.

I played sports competitively for my entire life, including on scholarship at the Div. I level. Having that all end at 22 was difficult, as it was such a major part of daily life. I actually transitioned away from my old sport and…into cycling. Here I am twelve years later with a house full of bicycles, a daily cyclocommute to a job I love (and never dreamed of having), and about to buy my first home with my wife. Who knows what life will bring?

I wish you the best, Ted! Now that you’ll be retired…I hope even more that I’ll bump into you out there on the road one of these days!

4. Age

Ted
    You will be missed next year. I will miss your thoughtful insight into the world of cycling. Your race reports were always something I looked forward to. I love your sense of humour and intelligent writing style. I look forward to reading about your sweet maple adventures… eh. Good Luck the rest of this season (hopefully a TdF appearance is in the cards). In bocca al lupo!

5. Becky

Wow. Unexpected, but I’m happy for you. On to the next adventure!

6. stalker

🙁
    Much joy came out of reading about your travels. Does this mean you won’t be traveling as much?
    Good luck with everything you move onto!

7. Ken

sad to hear yet excited for all that is in front of you! Please continue to write, it hads brought me inside the race. Success in all you do!

Regards, Ken

8. brad

Have an incredible final season Ted! Look forward to seeing you in Europe this year. Best of luck with the new adventures. chapeau

9. Patrick R

Best wishes Ted. Hope to catch up with you at home in Exeter sometime.

10. CAmeroCcCaCCCCCn -

Ted, Sorry to hear that you are retiring but best of luck for the rest of the 2015 season, will be cheering you on from Down Under.

11. JGExeter

Best Wishes for an enjoyable 2015!

12. Chase

It’s been wonderful following your career Ted! You’ve given us such a great insight into what it takes to be a professional cyclist. Please continue to keep writing after the season is over!

13. Sco

I’ll look for you riding around Napa & marin. TOC next month?

14. ajspear

Best of luck on your next adventure. Hope to still see you ride every so often up in the Santa Monica Mountains.

15. David Penley

Thanks Ted for the insight into the life of a professional cyclist that I dreamed of when I was younger, and live vicariously through you now that I am old. Good Luck the rest of the year. Thank you for your positive fun attitude on and off the bike.