Hot Diggidy Dog! But in the cold and wet meaning of the term.

I can’t help but think of this after a day like today:

Ooh man. Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man, so this is what we had in store going into the day:

IMG_3420

And what a day it was. Yesterday’s mentions of highs and lows were in full effect today. I’ll begin by saying, if you show me a cyclist who enjoys racing in the rain, I’ll show you a liar*. Look, you might be good in the rain, skilled in the rain, maybe just less bad than others in the rain, but to enjoy rain? Nope, being hedonistic towards dangerous conditions isn’t true.

So aforementioned highs and lows, let’s discuss.
- We woke up to rain: boo.
- We went to breakfast: yea!
- Rain continued to fall: boo.
- Here we are driving into the start town. Fans are lined 5 deep and best yet, as we drove to the race it dried up somewhat and was even mildly bright: yea!
IMG_3421
- Someone in the cycling hierarchy deemed it muddy/dangerous/stupid enough to warrant removing two cobble sectors: neither yea nor boo. They were random sectors to remove and certainly not for any reason resembling rider safety; furthermore by looking at a map you see they simply yanked out the two sectors with the easiest detours.
- Moments before the race started it got cold and started to rain. And the rain only got worse throughout the rest of the day: boo.
- There was righteous wind blowing, but conveniently in a favorable direction, making for a shorter stage: yea!
30+kph wind, however, makes for a very anxious bunch. (Bunch = peloton) And in the wet on an already really nervous stage, this is the recipe for disaster. Crashes ensue en masse: boo.
- While Froome’s abandonment from the race means I move up a spot on GC (yea! …cough cough, that’s sarcasm), I’d much rather have him in the race making an animated Tour. Froome’s DFN: double boo.
- I didn’t have to waste any time drinking, because it was freezing and if I really wanted to drink I’d just open my mouth skyward: yea!
- I literally shivered for 3.5 straight hours. Violent shivering for the final 2: boo.
- I finished the race and had maple cookies which were gifted to me on stage one and Justin’s maple almond butter from team Robichaud: YEA!
- Here’s a glamor shot of what’s happening outside the bus as we speak — hint, it’s damp:

IMG_3425

See, surf the highs and ride out the lows. Thriving is all about equilibrium. In news related to the day, as I pick my nose right now, I’m not just collecting a little bit of dirt, but instead have the making of a sizable sandbox. I’m curious how much mud I have in my lungs.

And to end on a high note, the hot shower on the bus post race was nearly enough to make me cry tears of joy.

Onward!

IMG_3426

* Okay, Lars Boom, who is something of an anomaly anyway, might like the rain. But he’s an outlier. Correct, the outlier.

Comments

1. Mary

Glad you survived the day – it looked miserable (weather wise)!

2. Mark Hotchkin

Glad you survived! Makes 15000+ feet mountain stages seem pleasant, I’ll bet. Heard through TV coverage that you may have hit the deck again today. Any truth to that? Keep turning those pedals!

3. Amber

It sounds like a miserable ride. Way to tough it out! Good luck on the rest of le Tour!

4. Ciro

The Gladiator pic could not have said it any better. And who plays Caesar?

5. Katharina & Roland

We really love your honest comments – good luck for the next stages, we hope that the weather is getting better … sending some sunbeams from Norway, cheers from Katharina & Roland

6. SocialPeloton

What a stage! Special mention to all finishers! And this

7. SocialPeloton

Thanks for blogging Ted! What a brutal stage you guys had today. Special mention to all finishers!

8. David Penley

Had a hard time keeping track of you in the live race today, but that was a good sign, since most of the names were ones that were on the tar (mac). I like the positive attitude, ride those highs (enjoy the sign in tomorrow, and we will push you through the lows. Remember you are New England tough!

9. Jay

Yeah! Flinty New England tough! Granite State tough! Dump truck full of awesome tough! Good luck!

10. Rich

Glad you are doing well and your spirits are high. Keep up the good work. We are all cheering for you back in NH. Cheers.

11. Bobby B

I heard Ventoux is going to be part of Roubaix next year. Good job out there Ted.

12. Greg L.

Ted,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights with the rest of us. Your equanimity under duress is impressive – hope that you, Sagan, and the rest of the team reap the benefits in the mountains! We are rooting for you as we keep track of our daily Ted sightings on the delayed NBCSN broadcast.
    Good luck!

13. Scott Woomer

Glad you made it through safe! As tough as it was for you and the bunch, it made for great TV. Very exciting to watch. I think Team Cannondale earned themselves a large stack of pancakes with fresh syrup!!

14. Douglas Perkins

Reading this reminds me of my racing days at Middlebury. Climbing (and descending!) Bear Mountain and Stoney Lonesome always seemed to happen amid some combo of snow, sleet, and/or freezing rain. Training through the latter stages of winter in Vermont prepares one for anything. You, sir, are not just New England strong, you’re Midd strong and making us proud. Keep it up!

15. Ron

Good job, Ted. I am definitely sure you are happy to have Stage 5 done with. Did you manage to stay upright the entire stage? Don’t think I saw you crash, which is a Yea!