The Restorative Power of…

photo-3

Yuup, the restorative power of lobster! With it’s generous helping of bone healing protein, as well as vital minerals like calcium, iron, and magnesium, plus plenty of invigorating vitamins, it pretty much sells itself to an injury cyclist nursing his wounded wing. Of course with that being said, I would happily crack through dozens of lobsters even if it was horribly laden in fat and cholesterol (…umm, much like the butter you dunk it in). And why do I need bone-healing lobster with merely a separated shoulder…? Stay tuned.

First let’s backtrack.

Ahh, home sweet home. Amid an incredible outpouring of support — for which I’m eternally humbled and forever grateful for your emotionally charged comments/emails/phone calls/texts/tweets/messages — I bid the Tour de France goodbye. Doing my best not to stew on the situation, I next gave my supportive and impressively globe-trotting parents a tour de Girona for a few fleeting days, before making my way back to America. The first order of business was seeking more thorough medical care than what’s found in the quick diagnoses found at the Tour de France. At Access Sports Medicine in Exeter, after thrice x-rays and 45 minutes in the MRI machine…

IMG_0008

…I learned that in addition to my separated shoulder, I also have a fractured coracoid, which is part of the scapula. And as tough-guy as it sounds to say that I broke my scapula, in reality the coracoid is a fairly obscure bone. So as BA as I am, in practice this diagnosis means:

a) I’m all the more impressed with myself for having grit through three more stages of the Tour de France. Sheesh, let alone saddling back up and finishing the first painful stage.

b) I never had a mid-season break since I segued the Tour of San Luis to Paris-Nice to the Classics to California to nationals to Suisse to the Tour de France, and therefore I suddenly was handed this ideal time for a quick rest. Which in turn means…

c) it’s time to go to Maine! I was in Vacationland literally for just a few short hours, but given the support from some of my favorite fans under four-and-a-half feet tall, I just had to make the trip. Coincidentally, they just may be my cousins. Or “cousins-once-removed”. Or “second-cousins”. I don’t know how that works, but they’re rad and definitely help stoke the ego.

IMG_0022

Fast Forward:

Now jump ahead eight days off the bike later (yes, with one evening spent eyes deep in lobster to help mend my ailing bones), I was back on my steed. With the help of European jet-lag plus an American sized helping of coffee, I’m able to stay busy in my typical New England swing. I saw some of my best friends, ate some amazing meals, rode my bike once or twice, cooked one final thank you dinner for my parents and another amazing hometown friend, and just cleared my head. T’was glorious.

But it’s now business time and therefore time to get ready for the next round, which may involve training at altitude here in Colorado as well as the use of an electric bone stimulator. Yes, an electric bone stimulator. That’s a fun addition to the daily routine because I get to say, “Yes, that’s a bone stimulator in my pocket AND I’m happy to see you!”

photo

But before you break out the well off-color jokes, it’s applied to my shoulder to stimulate bone growth, not my nether regions. I’m also icing on the reg’ since after some proper bike riding, my shoulder gets sore and ice is magic.

photo-2

I don’t actually ice my head, though. I ice my shoulder. I have it on my head because everyone who sees my awesome ice pack is amazed that they actually exist. They’ve only ever seen them in cartoons on cartoons’ heads when they bump their noggin. Friends, they actually exist and they work really well.

In an ideal scenario the rather hermit-like routine reads something like this: wake up, ride bike, ice shoulder, stimulate bones, rest, and repeat. The ol’ wing is getting better at an exponential rate, day by day, and seemingly hour by hour. While the first few rides even after the lengthy time off were drenched in a world of pain, each ride is considerably more comfortable and feeling just plain NORMAL than the last. And not just saying that to make everyone say, “Aww Ted, that’s just super great!” I mean it — every ride is way better than before!

Enough sappy talk though, it’s time to win some bike races!

Comments

1. Gabe - Seacoast NH

Ted keep up the good mood. I bet it was nice to come home after such a long training/racing block. See you out there.

Hey! I have an ice bag just like that! Thankfully, it doesn’t get too much use.
    See you in Elk Grove?

3. Julie @julesmpg

Being with cousins is always good! I loved reading this, I can just read the happy right off the page. Rest is good. Still praying for you everyday, I took FlatTed to church today, it just happened it was in my purse but still it went to church. Enjoy your stimulating adventures!

4. Becca

Sounds like a perfect, well deserved rest! Happy to hear your spirits are high and clever sense of humor still in tact….pretty BA if you ask me!

5. Ellie

Sounding great! That is very good!

6. Sharon

Great to hear you’re feeling better. I have lot of cousins and it’s great to spend time with them. So FYI from my uncle, the smart guy. If you share a grandparent you’re first cousins, if you share a great grandparent you’re second cousins, etc. The removed is if your grandparent is your cousins great grandparent. In that case you’re first cousins once removed. Hope to see you racing again soon!

7. sciott

Are those Roddy Lave’s in the MRI pic? You are even cooler than I thought.
    Keep it upright and good Luck in UT/CO.

Peace

8. Cormac

Come bike in aspen! It’s higher altitude than boulder!!

9. Jeff

Glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery…if you ask me mr sagan is missing a key teammate to bring him to the front

10. Laura

Great! Now all I want is lobster!! Get better soon!

11. John

Ted – We are pulling for you big time here in Middlebury. You are a real inspiration – it is great to follow along with you on this site and Strava. I talked about you today to my ten year old – I was talking to her about getting back up after getting knocked down, how hard it is but how important it is. Right NOW is where character is built.

12. Mike Hensen

Nice, I didn’t know all that about lobster, or are u as BS as u are BA? Are you coming to Quebec or Montreal?
    Sounds like you’ve landed well, best wishes on the rest of your year!

13. iamtedking

Hey Mike,

At the top of the page, the Schedule link should be alive and kicking. http://www.iamtedking.com/schedule tells the rest of the season as it looks now. Fingers crossed for the World Championships.

14. zac_in_ak

I have a white ice bag that has red polka dots! KOM ice bag ftw! I was sad to see you get booted from TDF especially considering the time differences and the past history of the rule bending. I am happy you are on the mend & glad for all the support. We are all rooting for you!

15. John

Really looking forward to Utah and Colorado. Knock ‘em dead Ted!

16. Ray WhitneRay WHitneyRay Whitney

SQUIRREL!

We missed you for the Squirrel Triathlon. Yes, they still talk about you fondly up there…

Heal up!