That’s a Wrap

The northern Spring Classics are done and dusted! Casa dulce casa, back home sweet home in Girona right now after finishing Tour of Flanders yesterday.

Oh… wait a tic. Oops, yup that’s right, Paris-Roubaix is Sunday. Okay well then, I’ll head up to le France and bang out another cobbled classic in a week, but my point still remains that finishing Tour of Flanders yesterday wraps up two exemplary weeks for Cannondale Pro Cycling in Belgium.

In the meantime before Sunday’s menacingly nicknamed Hell of the North I’ll rest up with ample siestas and enjoy this quick week at home in tranquillo Catalunya. For a quick run-down, over these past two weeks in chronological orders, Peter nabbed 2nd at the race with the coolest, most robotic name since the Ster-ElectroToer, that is E3/Harelbeke on Friday. He then took the win two days later in the ragingly fast, kermess-like, wind-torn, weather shortened Gent-Wevelgem. Carrying solid momentum we won stage one of the ZreeeDaaasgeofDePa(i)n… naturally with Peter. Elia Viviani had a solid 2nd place on stage two an then he rounded out the podium on stage 3a. We decided that riding “easy” in the final time trial would be prudent with the gem of the entire week, the Ronde Van Vlaanderen taking place just about 60 hours later on Sunday, so no podium on De Panne’s stage 3b. Easter Sunday, just yesterday, was RVV and Peter came up one step short of the win. Obviously Peter is a prodigious young talent and will have his day on the top step, but we are a hard working team and are still pleased with the hard work throughout this chunk of time.

I’m also pleased with this picture from BrakeThrough Media. See that fellow in the green? That’s me rolling to the start, whistling a lively tune, amid the 80,000 person masses in Brugge. The energy at Flanders is just mesmerizing.

riding to start

And if the above information and rad picture were too much to handle, I’ve created a nifty chart. It has both color and images, but it’s neither color coordinated nor in any way congruent.

2013-04-01_2114

My oh my, now that’s a nice chart!

Here are even more interesting numerical tidbits from the week:

29F = Estimated average temperature for our entire stay in Kortrijk. This is spring, right?
2 = Number of Trappist Westvleteren 12s that I acquired during my stay, through means I won’t explain here. But I will say a sincere thank you Dave.
10 out of 10 = my stoke factor for the above acquisition. Remember, these beers are perfect, 100 out of 100.
3 = Number of times in two weeks that I nipped from the secretly delivered maple syrup. My Sunday’s RVV was certainly helped fueled by nature’s mapley goodness. Thank you Dave, Rory, and flannel clad maple sugaring man who produced this sweet prize.
7,300 = kJs burned on Sunday’s race.
1 = # of hours of sleep that we were robbed the night before the race, because Europe does their daylight savings the inconvenient evening before RVV. This is particularly painful when we have to wake up when the clock reads 6:30am… so it feels like a 5:30 wake up.
10 = lbs of exquisite Belgian dark chocolate shaped into an Easter egg that Peter won at Wevelgem. It may have been more than one meter tall, it may have shattered in transit back to the hotel that evening, and we maaaaaay have wrapped up the evening of Flanders with what I’ll call “recovery chocolate”.

I will also add that the mysterious Kermit the Frog green Cannondale, photos of which you have have seen circling the internet, on which we have been perched the past two weeks, have been outstanding and serving us exceptionally well. More details, you ask? TBD. Patience, young Grasshopper(s).

And lastly, I snapped one final photo just before leaving Belgium that I needed to share with you. It’s a rare picture of the native Flemish Speculoos in it’s natural habitat. Moreover, it’s the even rarer sighting of the pair – yellow and red. Extremely elegant as they stand there, I dare say.

IMAG0562-1

None of this knock off TJ’s “Cookie Butter” which just sounds misplaced, artificial, and wrong.

Comments

1. Steve M

That is a fantastic picture, Ted. Congratulations on your and your team’s performances and podii. That’s a lot of racing for two beers. Can’t wait for Paris-Roubaix!

2. StevSteve Fortiere

Rock on, young Grasshopper (an updated version for modern times). Thanks, as always, for the stories from behind the scenes.

3. zac_in_ak

you are killing me with the new ride! pics on bike radar look awesome…I volunteer to test them domestically on snow battered roads and trails of Alaska! We call the costal trail a poor mans Paris-Rouxbaix. Plus I’m a clydesdale so can put it through the ringer…anyone…anyone…drat!

4. dave mengle

Congrats on a nice RVV Ted! Appreciate your sharing the inside scoop (and sips) with us here. My question is between training, racing & cooking when do you find time? Have great P-R! We’ll be watching!!

5. Vermont Bicycles United

Nice Nice! How many KJ’s in a one-meter exquisite Belgian Chocolate egg anyway?

6. Don Seymour

Hi Ted, Love reading your blog posts. Keep them coming. Question for you, can you comment on the photos we see of the best cyclists in the world on the best bicycles in the world walking their bikes up these cobbled bergs in Belgium like school girls? Can’t they put a gear on that would allow you to spin up these climbs even if you’re fried from racing 200km? Best wishes for Paris-Roubaix. Thanks from Maine.

Swell question Don. 22% is steep. Very very steep. Then enter the square peg/round hole dilemma, which is 200 guys wanting to be in the first 20 going up the climb. The road is about 6 feet wide, probably about as wide as would allow your car to drive up and scratch the crap out of the sides. The right side of the road is wet and therefore slippery. “Road” is also a misnomer because these are very abrupt cobbles. Collectively this sums to a tenuous situation – as soon as one guy bobbles, everyone behind him bobbles. Then since we’re going about 4kph on the bikes, and then we’re trackstanding, it suddenly makes more sense to dismount and run around the guy in front of you.

We’re perfectly capable of riding bottom to top alone or in training or with some buddies. Sure, it’s difficult, but doable. The clusterfudge that is bike racing throws an entirely new wrench into the spokes, so to speak. Hope that helps.

7. Steph

That’s a fine and outstanding chart Mr Ted. Please carry on being tremendous at all times.

8. LeeH

Excellent to see you doing so well. I’ll have Douval with my fresh eggs and avocado for Sunday am breakfast whilst cheering you on.

9. LeeH

Feeling shame in Durham, Duvel. Still fresh eggs though.

10. Pedro Barbieri

Hi Ted. I just found your blog through inrng.com, and I have to say I love it! Any way, if, in the midst of climbing the mighty Paterberg, you noticed a few blokes bearing a Slovak and a Portuguese flag and cheering every Cannondale until their lungs came off, well that was me and my friends! If you didn’t notice because you were too busy climbing that insane thing, then you should know we were there for you guys! Congrats on an awesome race, it was an unforgettable moment just to witness this epic race in person (even if Peter came second :( ).
    Keep up the excellent work and good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers