Just Another Day in the Life of… My Life

And that marks the end of my Coppi e Bartali. No, thankfully not for any bad reasons. In fact, it’s for good reasons. With two stages remaining and four already in the bag, my knee proved to be up to snuff and therefore I’m en route home now and off to Belgium tomorrow. Perchè, you ask? Tis the season to be racing Classics and the Belgilassics are precisely where I’m headed.

If you’re curious what Liquigas-Cannondale has in store for the weeks ahead, give this a quick read Team Liquigas Cannondale

Coppi e Bartali was a mixed bag. The TTT was a particular lowlight when we went from a very Ricky Bobby’esque “if you ain’t first, you’re last” best time to worst time with a team crash just 1km from the finish. With much skin from five of our collectives butts (not mine, thanks for asking) missing, that sucked.

But on a lighter note, the knee was up to the task including yesterday’s pancake flat and righteously fast 195km stage, which was then trumped in the effort department by today’s mere 155km stage. In true Italian fashion the race bible’s elevation profile came nowhere near to telling the true story. Here’s a telling anecdote: we had a relatively lengthy 11km climb averaging 6%, bottom to top. But what’s at the top? A sprint line. No, not a king of the mountain line, but a SPRINT. I love Italy and it’s infinite confusion. Italy makes me happy. Another testament to yesterday’s being tough were the eighteen dudes over the time limit. Or the half dozen others who didn’t finish. Ouch.

Anyway nearly 3,000m of climbing and nearly an average wattage 100w more than yesterday zapped through a lot of kilojoules. Like 4,200 of ‘em.

But enough numbers yackidy yack; I’m headed home, will water the tomatoes, have a tasty dinner with some friends, unpack, repack, sleep, ride, and go to Belgium… all in the next 20 hours.

(Meanwhile I’m updating this post about 17 hours after initially writing it; I’m therefore t-minus 3 hours until airborne. I’ve dined with Tejay, watered the tomatoes – and caffeinated them since it’s been recommended that I fertilize them with coffee grounds – just went on THIS ride…

…and now need to continue packing. GO!)

Yeaa bikes.

Comments

1. Lukas

Leaving the dream, aren’t you?

2. Donn

Sounds fun… Followed the link you mentioned, in the picture being shown at that link, looks like you all missed the turn to the “Sex Shop”.

3. Steve M

Exciting! There’s something about the classics that’s at least as cool as the grand tours, or cool in a different way. I am an authority on that cuz I watch them on versus and, lately my laptop! Best of luck, Ted and the knee!

4. Fabio

Got to love the Italian sense of humour in placing a sprint prime at the top of a mountain. Thanks for the update, and all the best with the ongoing recovery!

5. DNAtsol

I’ve got you and Sagan on my fantasy team… Get me points!! :).
    Seriously though, have a good race Liquigas is kickin some serious a$$ this year.

6. Patrick Mahoney

Between you guys on a roll and Chrissie Wellington I can’t find the Slice I want anywhere. Thanks :)

7. Jonathan

Congrats on your recovery from knee trouble. What was the ticket for the quick recovery for you? I am dealing with some knee issues myself these days. Any 411 would be cool. Thanks and enjoy Belgium.

8. largearge

caught this photo of you at day 2 of the ‘three days of pain.’ looks like you’re feeling both of ‘em:

nice work on helping peter to the front for third on the day. can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the classics.

i’m curious to know too on what you’re setup is for the pave: what type of wheels/rims/tires? any testing on the synapse to ease the bumps? any good advice you’ve gotten for dealing with the pave?

9. Steve Fortier

Go Ted! Ride fast. Play your part (as a side note, do you know Girl Talk… he has a mix with the same name… check it out). Stay upright. Remain pain-free. And, thanks so much for sharing your story. I enjoy following your adventures here.

Be well,