BahrBeeeCue

I really can’t tell you how nice it is to be home. Despite what some of you may think about professional cyclists and our propensity to be an unproductive bunch, my to-do list has reached downright epic proportions. That’s saying a lot because I hate the using the world epic.

However, despite me being downright stupidly busy I managed to concoct something that deserves your attention – BBQ pizza. This took place this evening after mowing the lawn and tackling the rigors of cellular telephone and banking customer support. So once again we’re doing to do a little Tarentino’ing: I’ll tell you the final product and then work backwards to sort out this delicious saga. Final product: grilled BBQ chicken pizza a la Teddy.

So it all started with a homemade crust. Organic, no, but who the heck needs their crust to be organic? Not this guy. I made a batch of this sometime mid afternoon which gave the yeast just enough time to kick into gear and do some rising of ye dough.

Next I took my neighbor’s garden-grown acorn squash, cooked it, and then made it a nice mashed puree. Any sort of root vegetable or squash is deliciously in season now and I had to take advantage of the neighborly vegetation.

We had some organic chicken breast – nothing but the finest – cooked that and gave it a dicing. Mix the chix with diced red onion, some garlic spice, BBQ sauce, pine nuts, and some salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile heat up the grill, toss on the crust for about 3 minutes.* When it’s begun to retain it’s shape, give’r a flip and then be ready to act quickly. In lieu of traditional tomato pizza sauce, I used the squash puree as the “sauce” and spread that around with deft maneuvering of the spoon. Next toss around the chicken/onion mixture, and then sprinkle with cheese. I gave it a nice sprinkling of S+P and just a dash of dried basil. Yes, I said dash. And I meant it.

The result was truly breathtaking. “That was the most amazing thing I’ve eaten in a long time!” candidly proclaimed one ravenous eater (…Mom).

I’m not kidding, this was the bomb. Like bomb dot com. I recommend trying this at home every night for the next month. That way you’ll really hone the recipe and then you can have me over to compare and contrast BBQ pizza notes.

Piece… of pizza.

Oh right, I meant peace.

*My crust ended up being a near disaster thanks to its wildly sticky characteristic. So it ended up hitting the grill and then being pulled into the shape of a butterfly. That was entirely accidental. I was going for a circle and ended up with a butterfly. Crud. Thankfully that doesn’t effect the taste.

Comments

1. Frank

Get a pizza stone, and corn meal, and you’ll keep your pizza a nice circular shape.

2. hooksone

you wait tomorrow we will match wits!

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention BahrBeeeCue | Ted King -- Topsy.com

4. Pingback: iamtedking: Need to explain the butterfly pizza. http://www.iamtedking.missingsaddle.com/2010/10/bahrbeeecue/ There sort of a recipe there too. Sort of. - CycloTweet

5. Jay Irwin

Try tomato basil pesto for the sauce. Works well with prosciutto and chorizo. Mushrooms and red onion with feta and mozzarella for topping. Definitely one of my favs.

6. Jennifer Katz

You have a “giro-hectic” off season… Shouldn’t you by lying on a beach somewhere resting, at least for a few days?

7. GeWilli

forget the pizza stone for the grill, get a pizza screen – cheap, wicked easy – roll the dough out – toss it on there, flip it if you want (or not)

PULL IT OFF THE GRILL TO TOP IT, then slide it back on to finish.

Keeps the flavor like cooking directly on the grill grate but makes it waaaaaaay easier.

GeWilli beat me to it – yes a pizza screen or perforated pan will make life much easier, and maybe a bit more flour in your dough. Pizza dough shouldn’t be sticky. Start it the night before and just throw it in the fridge.

9. Steve

I second the pizza stone, but preheated in a 550 oven after about 30-45 minutes. Dough rolled out and pizza created on parchment paper. A layer of parchment paper on top while rolling out is key! Shape is a non-issue. Toss it onto the stone, cook to your liking, slice and serve!

10. chad

made a version of this after i saw the post. i changed a few things, but it was on of the best pizzas ive ever had, thanks ted. no pizza sauce needed with the squash puree (i opted for butternut). UNCONVENTIONAL and AMAZING!