EAT GOOD FOOD

After tweeting a glamor shot by Deb this morning, I’ve received a few requests for my previously misspelled Breakfast Oatmeal+Muslei (correction, Muesli) Pancake.

While this may seem like a stick-to-your bones breakfast, a breakfast like this is recommended if you’re going to set out on your bike soon afterward. If that’s the case, you’ll easily burn these calories, you’ll fuel your metabolism, and your ride will be downright perfect. So in reality, it’s anything but literal-stick-to-your-bones as you’ll be lean and fit in no time flat, courtesy of the iamtedking pancake diet.

I find measuring to be tedious and therefore tend to just wing it when I make meals – which is often. But for the sake of mimicking this at home, I’ll ballpark the measurements the best I can.

1/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup muesli
1/2 cup hot(ish) water
1/2 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
2 eggs
1 gallon or so maple syrup. Fake syrup simply won’t do.
… + whatever else you deem fit for flavor. I recommend any of the following: cinnamon, blueberries, bananas, crushed nuts, or chocolate chips if you’re feeling saucy.

Put oats, muesli, salt and hot water in a bowl and let it sit for just a minute. Most of the water will soak into the oats and that’s a good thing. Next add baking soda and eggs, plus anything additional you’re hankering for. This morning, for example, feeling a bit spicy, I went with cinnamon.

Oil or butter your pan. It’s fairly important that you use a small pan of the 6-8″ variety. The batter is rather liquidy, so it will spread out across the entire area of the pan’s bottom. A massive 12″ pan will probably just cause a headache and maybe a small mess.

The hot water won’t totally suffice in cooking the oat mixture, so you’ll want to continue to cook the oats/muesli on the relatively low heat. So whereas normal pancakes are cooked on a piping hot griddle, I recommend medium-low. Pour batter into the pan and wait 5 minutes or more. The pancake will become fairly tall and that’s a good sign that things are cooking and life is good. Pat yourself on the back and pour another cup of coffee. Then using a pliable spatula, try to get under the pancake to make sure nothing is sticking to the pan and to ensure the pancake will happily flip. I recommend getting an audience, taking a step back from the stove, and flipping the pancake dramatically. Practice is key so maybe you should make a dozen pancakes this morning. Cook the other side for 5 minutes or so and then saturate the pancake in enough syrup that should typically be reserved for a family of five.

Enjoy.

Comments

1. Charsa

So when does the iamtedking/Cervelo cookbook hit the market? Yum

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention EAT GOOD FOOD | Ted King -- Topsy.com

If I can’t find real muesli (which I probably can, or make myself) will American granola work too? And will Wisconsin Maple syrup work – or does that just ruin the whole thing? :p

4. RM

I assume this is dry muesli, not the European mixed-with-yogurt kind?

5. Hugo

Did Dominic gave you “real” (read Quebec) maple syrup?? ;-)

Unnecessary use of quotation marks: seven demerits. Double question marks: three demerits. Smiley/winking face: one thousand demerits. New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont make the best maple syrup.

The end.

• Becky B

I accept my demerits. What is the KOS endorsed method to convey sarcasm?

• Axel Brawn

Using a comma before the word ‘and’ whilst correcting another fan’s grammar: five demerit points. Best damn Oatmeal Muesli recipe ever: one thousand bonus points!

I disagree Axel. I’m listing at least three things, therefore the comma is required. At least in American English that’s the case.

• loopybunny

Actually, using a comma before the conjunction in a series is no longer required. It’s a matter of personal writing style.

6. Carl Hofmann

Sounds like peanut butter atop might be the best way to round out the meal, that, covered in real maple syrup, no?

7. McDreamyBiker

Ted, this sounds great! I have recently been thinking of asking you for some energy inducing recipes for my long rides while I train for the Dempsey Challenge Century in October. Thanks for sharing. And just FYI, I still by my Maple Syrup by the boatload when I visit VT just to be sure…

8. alison

I’ve waited a long time for a pancake diet. Can you really use both pancake and diet in the same sentence? Sounds too good to be true, but I’ve learned to never doubt you, TK. Now, do I have to ride for 6 hours? Is there a pancake/hours riding rule?

9. Wendy

Thank you for fulfilling my USDA recommended allowance of ND references.

10. Dan

Everyone knows that the best and truest Maple Syrup comes from Vermont. Vermont is the Bordeaux region of maple syrup. Also non of that Grade A Lite sugar water. For real maple flavor you want to only go as high as a Grade A dark.

11. Catherine Stevens

Maple syrup is also a great cooking ingredient and can replace white sugar in your favorite recipe. See http://www.vermontmaple.org to learn how to substitute syrup for sugar and also for lots of yummy recipes.

12. gewilli

So i gave this recipe a shot this morning, added some chopped up local early season apples, local blueberries, cinnamon, and 1 tbsp of melted butter to your recipe. But not having museli in the house i subbed an extra bit of oats and some whole wheat flour.

interesting – a very eggy tasting pancake.

Yes indeed it’s… unique. In truth, I’m cleaning out my kitchen which would explain why the ingredients are sparse. If I were making this for real (and by “for real” I mean, in a proper kitchen with a full pantry) I too would use flour. I would probably opt for regular buckwheat for its toothsome and hearty flavor. Additionally perhaps some wheat germ and then a bit of baking powder as well. Milk and vanilla both also adds some nice flavor and hide the egg if you’d like to have a less custardy breakfast.

But while people often explain that baking is an exact science, I find it to be an adventure. Playing around and toying with ingredients is much more fun.

• Becky B

I came across a recipe (in the Schwan’s Ice Cream catalog, but that’s another story) for a baked french toast coated in granola. Seems a lot like your pancake. I’m picturing a nice multi-grain bread, some home-made granola, topped with fresh strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. Or half a bottle of Maple Syrup.

13. Hilary

Gave this a go this morning, added in a thinly sliced banana and some slivered almonds. Quite tasty, and good fuel for my 13 mile run later, but I will need to tweak it to get the consistency a bit more pancake like. Either way, it’s a great kind of baseline of ingredients/cooking technique and like you said, the experimentation in the kitchen is all part of the fun!