Part III, Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Preface: Blackberry thumbed blog yet again. This one is being completed from the massage table, fittingly about 30 minutes from dinner.

Completing stages as Giro-difficult* as anything the Giro decides to throw at us is reason enough to celebrate. And what’s the most common accoutrement to any awesome celebration, besides the obvious one-two combination of streamers and balloons? That’s right, FOOD.

The first thing we do upon stepping onto the bus after any stage is vigorously imbibe on a recovery drink courtesy of ZipVit. The team is split about 50:50 between ZipVit’s offering of the Recovery Rapide drink and the Whey Protein drink mix, which our trusty soigneurs shake vigorously for optimal mixture and subsequent absorption… or whatever. Available in a variety of expected flavors – chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry – these delicious combination of protein, carbohydrates, and necessary vitamins and minerals are instrumental to immediate post-race recovery.

A quick shower on the bus and then during the drive to the hotel, there is generally a handful of other comestibles ranging from freshly cut fruit salad, yogurt, sandwiches of the ham and cheese or tuna fish or mozarella, egg, and tomato variety, Chef Willy prepared rice with diced ham, cheese, corn, and tomatoes topped with olive oil and salt (heavenly), oatmeal with raisins and nuts, and muslei. Mysteriously, there have recently been a handful of dark chocolate bars (richly dark in the 70-85% range) floating around the post race food box – no complaints from riders, as these bars are rich in antioxidants. And flavor.

Back at the hotel, in between getting horizontal or receiving massage while waiting for dinner, we often mingle into the room of whichever soigneur is overseeing the food box. Similar snacks are offered here – yogurt, cereals, rice crackers, amazing European sugar waffles, a massive container of nuts, fresh fruit, dried fruit, and plenty of water. ZipVit products make their way into this box as well, mostly the protein mix and bars are consumed during this time.

Dinner time!

Willy is in his element at dinner and his energy level borders between Full-Gas and Holy-Smokes-Willy-How-Do-You-Have-So-Much-Uuumph?! Mind you, Willy is about 70 years old and often acts like he’s a third that age. He’s something special.

So dinner generally begins with a buffet salad consisting of greens, beets (I love beets. In fact, my love for beets borders on a strange obsession. One of my favorite things about Europe is the abundance of beets at meals), carrots, cucumber, and not much else. Next is pasta or rice. It’s a crime to not eat Italian pasta here in Italy since throughout the season, we’re often served just horrendous pasta, especially in France. But gluten intolerance of avoidance among more and more cyclists results in lots of folks opting for rice. Thankfully Willy makes a tasty rice which is accentuated nicely by potent and wicked yum Italian olive oil.

Now that you’re pretty much full and it’s probably 10pm or later, proper dinner is ready to begin. Some riders request the same thing for all three weeks (chicken), but I find that unimaginatively tedious so I just eat what Willy serves de jour. This can be anything from aforementioned chicken, as well as steak, fish, chicken, steak, or perhaps fish. Or chicken. Roasted veggies accompany the protein and often yet another round of starch in the form of roasted potatoes, risotto, or mashed ‘tatos will compete for room on the plate. Interestingly, Italian breads are generally bad, but a basket of bread will always be on the table and will be picked at no matter how bad it is.

Portions are generous and there are always seconds available.

As plates are cleared and there’s talk of dessert, without fail we (umm, I) will ask Willy for tiramisu. And without fail Willy will giggle enthusiastically and say no. Plain or fruit yogurts will arrive on the table, sometimes with fresh fruit, decaf coffees are sometimes ordered, and now that it’s pushing 11pm, it’s off to bed.

* Confused what Giro-difficult means? See here: http://bit.ly/9W219L

Comments

1. Pingback: iamtedking: Some say supper. Some say dinner. I say read it. http://www.iamtedking.missingsaddle.com/2010/05/part-iii-winner-winner-chicken-dinner/ - CycloTweet

2. Siocan

Do you know any pro who is vegetarian? Do you think this is possible?

3. Rica

But why no to tiramisu? That’s dreadful.

OK, reading that made me Giro-hungry (can’t wait for my first CSA box tomorrow – fresh asparagus!!). I have a question: The heavenly Chef Willy prepared rice with diced ham, cheese, corn, and tomatoes topped with olive oil and salt – is that cold or warm? It sounds like something our family will enjoy this summer (as soon as the garden tomatoes are ripe).
    And I’m very sorry that I had Tiramisu for dessert last night (special occasion), but may you find comfort in the fact that it wasn’t as good as when I make it.

5. Roddy Pattison

Tiramisu- wrong type of fat (saturated), wrong type of alcohol (ie it’s there!) and wrong type of raw egg!

Rica, well said. Roddy, I’m quite sure Al Green was referring to Tiramisu when he sensually sang, “If loving you is wrong, I don’t want to be right…”

6. Rica

Now, Roddy, if Ted asks, I’ll be MORE than happy to give him my absurdly low-fat recipe of tiramisu that, even my Italian friends, didn’t know had such little fat in it.

There’s such a thing as a WRONG type of alcohol? If so, then I don’t want to be right.

7. Hyunsok Yu

Mr Ted King,
    We know the many requirements to be pro cyclist. Large appetite, strong legs, mind and heart. But, could you discuss virtues of a brass hard sit muscle that allow for 6 hours on seat!!!???

8. Davide

Hi Ted, first of all let me say that you’re a special one! Me and my mother follow your Giro-adventure updates and we’re reading them so enthusiastically! (my mom is half US half italian citizen and me too, she particularly loves your narrative and rich Giro-style). I would like to suggest you, during these last Giro-stages in north Italy, to ask for dark bread at dinner (if the hotels are well equipped, though I fear not): in fact, this is the best kind of bread they can prepare in this part of the country. On the contrary, if you go in the south of Italy, you can find a great variety of typical and popular white bread, focaccia and pizza that you would find amazing (especially if you eat a slice of white Altamura* bread with extravergine olive oil, salt and fresh little sweet tomatoes grown at the sun of Puglia, Abruzzo or Calabria!). You must know that in Italy the really best food is popular food, strictly linked to the tradition of farmers’ poor families, who had to survive in the past century with the essential fruits of the earth like vegetables, legumes, potatoes, rice and wheat. My grandmother is from Giovinazzo, a little village near Bitonto, Puglia, and she’s passing down all her family’s tradition to me. I swear, it’s outstanding how many things they can do with simple ingredients! If you decided to spend a holiday in Italy, you would be very welcome and you could find out how many beautiful apsects Italy hiddens! (I live near to Milan but my parents have just finished building a mansion in Abruzzo and my grandparents live in Trani, Puglia)
    Good luck for the last Giro-steep stages, for the last Giro-meals and, don’t forget, you’ve gained an invitation in Italy for a relaxing Giro-tradition discovery holidays!
    Ciao,
    Davide Ariosto

9. Antonio Costa

Man you just made me hungry, I’m going into food searching mode.;) (Thx for sharing the insight on riders nourishment)

10. andrew

I feel fat now.

11. Davide

Oops, I forgot the asterisk!
    *Altamura is a village in Puglia famous for its bread. You should taste it with the flavouring I suggested you!

Maybe the links below can be useful, have a look!
    Bye
    Davide

12. Charsa

Do you think Chef Willy would consider spending the off season in Nashville?