Pelotonic Observations

I’ve edited this post. Initially it was called, “Observations from the Field” but I like this title better. Plus I had to supplement observation numero tres since Theo Bos is supa dupa fast, guy!

1. There’s a team here at Castilla y Leon called Caja Rural. Their jerseys have a striking resemblance to the Minnesota North Stars hockey jerseys of yore (lest we forget I played hockey from the tender age of three until I was seventeen). While there is a recent surge in the number of black and red kits permeating the pro peloton, green and yellow, however, exists in a league of its own. KoS awards seven merit points for originality. Mike Modano makes a guest appearance and throws in an extra three points for (unintentional?) retro flair.

2. Alberto Contador’s SRM computer head-unit reads:

“Contador”

It is written in permanent marker, so it’s not super-pro-custom straight from SRM. It is important to point out that I did not add the quotation marks above, as they are right there hugging his name on the SRM. Superfluous quotation marks on one’s SRM are, well, superfluous. I think a bit of white out is the only solution. I would have filled him in on my thoughts thereof, but my handle of Spanish takes me only so far. And I don’t know Spanish for superfluous.

Alternatively, it indicates that he prefers to be referred to by his last name. “Yo, waaadup Contador? King here just saying hola. Byebyenow.”

3. Theo Bos is fast. Fast x 2, fact.

Comments

1. Tom

Funny. Having one name is awesome. Bono, Madonna, y “Contador.”

2. largearge

Nice fist pump in the photo, Tedward.

PS – even nicer work on gettin the Bosman to the line.

3. John Vogel

Hi Ted,

Just wanted to say how impressed I am with your writing. I followed the link from your contribution to Velonews and found the blogs on your personal website. Brilliant! Your ability to tell stories while remaining accessible and authentic is a rarity in the world of cycling literature. It is obvious that your passion for learning runs deep and that cycling will offer you a long, long life of telling interesting, funny and dimensional stories. It also clear the writing, like bike racing, is something you do for the shear joy of it–and for no other reason. Keep writing and keep riding and I’ll stay tuned into both.

Exeter Cycles is my LBS too. I travel from Boston to see J.G. and buy stuff. It’s been worth the trip for the past 20 years. Good luck this Spring and at the Giro. Take care

4. Donmar

Hi Ted,

Out of curiosity, what happens to team equipment (i.e., bikes) at the conclusion of the season. Is there a program whereby a recreational cyclist can get his/her hands on a discontinued team bike? Great racing so far this year. I look forward to your performance at the Giro. Keep the posts coming.

Be Well,

HDS

We have a ritualistic bonfire and burn all equipment. I’m sure the rubber in the tires and carbon in, well… in everything, aren’t very good for the environment, but it’s a good way to clear your mind after a tough season.

In truth, I have no idea. The equipment belongs to the team and I’m sure they do something smart with it.

5. loopybunny

Bonus awesome points awarded to you for playing hockey and being perturbed by the misuse of quotation marks. I say take matters into your own hands and make a bold statement with a red Sharpie to correct the mistake.

6. McDreamyBiker

Just incase you really want to know, in regards to #2 it’s a very similar superfluo.