I'm Fond of Skin…

…and therefore unhappy when I lose it. I don’t like to do race summaries but sometimes they’re warrented. So without further ado, a race recap:

Feeling good.
Team is riding really well.
Feeling good.
Make it over Paris Mountain the first 3 times.
Peloton slowly disintigrating.
Feeling good.
Make it over Paris Mountain a few seconds behind the very front group
Feeling good on descent.
Quickly catch peloton as we’re about to start finishing laps.
Feeling good.
Peloton is now just 25 guys.
Feeling really good.
Motivated.
See George, VdV, and McCarty attack
Jump to follow attack.
Feeling good.
Surprised to see a rider punch through a gap suitable for a mouse or other small rodent between me and the curb.
See said rider sweep our my front wheel causing me to hit the pavement at 40mph.
Not feeling so good.
Race over.

It’s now two days after US Pro. I spent 30 minutes last night in the shower with about 4 of those minutes actually getting wet. The other 26 were spent cowardly and painfully avoiding the water which felt more like a hot iron on my wounds than actual H2O. That was followed by 30 more minutes applying bandages to the right side of my body, including my entire right butt cheek. Think about it… or don’t. It’s miserable. But better than broken bones.

Comments

1. Karl

Ouch! That’s a bummer. I see you’re taking some consolation with your iPhone, or maybe writing this post even before you clean the grit out of your wounds.

2. a$

noooooooooooooo….so sorry to read about (and see, yowza) your loss of skin :o(

Buuuuut, I found some pretty sweet pictures of you and the rest of the press conference crew!

3. H'Tower

Dang. That looks pretty Mifflin!

4. Patrick

Dude, the butt road rash is the worst! I’ve had the smallest patch for a week and life stopped sucking only a couple days ago. I’ll take a million calf patches over one more but patch, fo sho…one cheek on the toilet seat is on the agenda! At least you didn’t break your right hand…butt rash and broken wiping hand are the ultimate double bummer!

heal quickly and my but you’ve been tearing it up this year, big time!!!!

5. Scott

Sorry about your crash. I hope you’re back on the bike for Univest as the Woomer family will be there to cheer you on!

6. Mike Hen

Wow, Teddy. You are the baddest mofo alive. I’m really sorry to use that language, I know this is a family show, but that’s the truth. Fast recovery, please.

7. bluv

i got me some of that whole cheek rash last year at philly just inside a kilometer to go in the charge to get set for the line when “a said rider” decided to slam me to the ground by squeezing into a space that didnt exist….i never knew how much i would rather lose my ass in gambling than on the pavement til that moment. try having the paramedic bandage stick like glue only to rip another layer off and see a whole new pink sheet of skin after the plane flight home the next day..

and no, i did not think to get the bandage wet so it would come off more easily. ahem.

as for the shower, i have to admit…i learned to love the burn ;)

8. TallGuyRich

Super suck man. Hope you heal quick. I got both cheeks and half my back last year. You find out how much people like you when you ask them to help bandage your hiney.

9. TZ

Holy S%*& that was a funny spider story! I hope you’re feeling better and getting settled into the “Republic”.

10. Michael Viertel

If you spray, or rub, betadine (the generic equivalent works fine) over your wounds before you shower it will significantly reduce the amount of pain/stinging in the shower and actually make it tolerable. It’s well worth the $9 or whatever it cost.

Solarcaine is also a god-send. It’s got benzocaine and triclosan in it which more or less numbs the area and keeps the wounds from itching or hurting. It burns like all hell for about 10 seconds after you spray it on though. (note washes off quickly in the shower though so it’s only good for during the day or on the bike use).

Hope you heal up qucik

11. Nicole

I just saw the video from your crash. Egads, dude — that looked bad. I’m glad you’re okay. Having said that, since this was TiVoed action, I may have rewound and watched it multiple times.